Skip to content


Safety and Security

Victims of crimes, including sexual assault, should contact the local police at 110 immediately, and U.S. citizen victims can contact the U.S. Embassy at +(86)(10) 8531-4000.

Keep in mind that while studying in another country you are subject to the laws of the region. If you violate local laws, even unintentionally, you may be expelled, arrested, or imprisoned. If you are arrested or detained, ask police or prison officials to notify the U.S. Embassy or Consulate General immediately. 

For more information, see U.S. Department of State Students Abroad page and FBI travel tips


Medical facilities are usually below U.S. standards, and you may encounter very few staff who speak English. If you need to reach out to the emergency services dial 110. 

Remember that regulations regarding medications vary from country to country and are usually different from those in the U.S. If traveling with medication, check with the Embassy of the People’s Republic of China prior to your travel to ensure your medication is legal in China. Always carry your prescription medication in original packaging with your doctor’s prescription.

Before you leave, make sure you are up-to-date on all vaccinations recommended by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

For further health information, please refer to the World Health Organization.


Road conditions in the host country can differ significantly from those in the U.S. The U.S. Department of State recommends that you visit the Road Safety page for more information. 


Stay safe and in case of any emergency, please contact:

  • Emergency Services (the equivalent to 911)
    • Phone: 110
  • U.S. Embassy Beijing
    • No. 55 An Jia Lou Road
      Chaoyang District, Beijing 100600
    • Phone: +(86)(10) 8531-4000
    • Emergency: +(86)(10) 8531-4000
    • Fax: +(86)(10) 8531-3300
    • Email:
    • Website: U.S. Embassy Beijing
You may also call the U.S. Department of State offices in Washington, D.C. at 1-888-407-4747 (toll-free in the United States and Canada) or 1-202-501-4444 (from all other countries) from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
  • International SOS:
    • Phone: + 215-942-8478
  • UTEP Police
    • 24/7 Phone: + 1 915-747-5611
  • UTEP Office of Study Abroad
    • Phone: + 1 915-747-6273
  • UTEP Counseling and Psychological Services
    • After Hours Crisis Phone: + 1 915-747-5302
  • UTEP Center for Accommodations and Support Services (CASS)
    • Phone: + 1 915-747-5148
  • UTEP Title IX Coordinator
    • Phone: + 1 915-747-5662
  • Your Faculty Leader(s)